7 Steps to Thoroughly Clean your Car Interior
You spend a lot of time in your car, don't you? It is therefore normal for dirt to accumulate there. Here is a step-by-step guide to cleaning your entire car's interior in an easy and economical way.
1. Gather the Necessary Materials and Equipment:
To properly clean the interior of your car, you will need the following equipment:
- A vacuum cleaner with hose and accessories.
- An extension cord (in case the cord of your vacuum cleaner is not long enough).
- A garden hose for plastic floor mats.
- Paper towels or lint-free rags.
- An ammonia-free glass cleaner.
- A cleaner and protector for vinyl or leather.
2. Empty your Car:
- Empty your vehicle of all your waste, recyclables, and unnecessary items.
- Then take whatever you want to keep in your car and set it aside so you can clean all the surfaces.
- Take out all your floor mats.
Vacuum the floor, under the seats (slide them all the way forward to vacuum up any debris), around the pedals, all upholstery, the rear windshield, and the dashboard.
- Make sure to vacuum between the cracks and crevices using your vacuum cleaner accessories.
- Vacuum the floor mats. If they are dirty, water them with a garden hose and let them dry.
For a More In-Depth Cleaning:
If you want to thoroughly clean your carpets and upholstery, buy or rent a carpet cleaner.
- It will get rid of all the dirt that has settled deep in the fibers of your rugs and seats.
- It sprays the carpet with a solution, then sucks up all the dirt and grime.
4. Clean Leather and Vinyl Surfaces:
Spray vinyl or leather cleaner onto a rag or paper towel and wipe down all vinyl or leather surfaces.
- Start at the top and finish at the bottom.
- When the cloth is dirty, take a clean one.
- If you have leather seats, it is in your best interest to purchase a leather cleaning kit.
- Polish leather or vinyl surfaces with a soft, clean cloth.
5. Clean the Plastic and Windows:
Spray a little glass cleaner on a rag and clean your windows, dashboard and other plastic parts.
- When cleaning your windows, lower them so you can clean the top edges.
- Polish your windows with crumpled newspapers until all traces are gone.
6. Clean up the Small Details:
- Wrap a rag around an old screwdriver, spray it with an all-purpose cleaner, and then gently move it along the finish lines of your car to pick up dust and grime.
- Pass it on all buttons and controls as well.
7. Put Everything Back and Spray:
- Put everything (dry floor mats and items) back inside your car.
- Spray deodorant to get rid of all of its foul odors.
Even doing everything you can, you can't stop dirt and grime from building up inside your car. The key is to properly clean the interior of your car to keep it spotless.